Why did the new servers fail?

Home Forums Global General Discussion Why did the new servers fail?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Aidan Nye 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

borncorp
    Keymaster
    23 pts

Do you have any idea of what went wrong with the downfall of the servers?
    Was it:
    Bad staff? Bad hosting? Bad Website? No players? Boring? No money? Too hard to manage? Plugin issues? No adult to pay the hosting? Minecraft is so 2013?

• This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by  borncorp.
    #137364 Score: 0

2Federal
    Participant
    12 pts

“I will explain what the problem is with the server. On May 1st, our server ran out of the host, and Salty, who was going to pay for it, wasn’t able to get the money in time. That isn’t much of a problem, so I went to the store and got two gift cards, a $10 and $5 gift card. Apparently, Spain (where our host’s hq is) has a 20% tax so $15 wasn’t enough. I then went and bought another $5 one, but you can only load $10 at a time, so by now, I’ve wasted 4 days on something that didn’t even work. I can’t refund $5 gift cards so I have essentially $10. I’m not going to be able to get 10 more dollars because I literally don’t have any more money, and if I put the $10 for the host, I won’t be able to get it back.EC will be closed until we can resolve this issue. Of course it’s not closed permanently, and we’ll be trying to get it back on as soon as possible. It is possible that it may be even up to weeks before this is resolved due to the nature of this problem. But do not worry, the server is fine, and once the server is up, you’ll be right back to where you left off.” -Rogue

In other words, Rouge fucked up.

For me, the server wasn’t fun anymore… The old prison map was cool looking at again doe, but that’s about it for me. Staff management wasn’t the bestI will say and that’s kind of why I resigned so fast and a long of other things.

#137365 Score: 1

Wither
    Participant
    14 pts

I offah free hosting if anyone is willing to host a server that will be public.

1gb ram.

#137369 Score: 0

AnderZENZ
    Participant
    19 pts

post disappeared? rip
    I shall repost..
    Basically, the server failed because:
    -Rogue and I were the only “senior” mods who were frequently around
    -Chris, who basically started the project, vanished without saying anything. Literally, could have said “Okay I’m leaving guys, you’re on your own for hosting” but nope, poof.
    -I’ll even admit that Rogue and I weren’t the best “managers” we struggled a lot.
    -Admins abusing (won’t name names or deny anything)
    -Minecraft is basically dead as a game, if we had something unique it would be better.
    -Lack of funds, we got funds from some shady sources… One of which held the server hostage for several days.

~Formerly Anderz, now Destroyer_Z37

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by  AnderZENZ.
    #137372 Score: 0

Xavier
    Participant
    9 pts

hey ander, was your server model to attempt to keep the remaining spanish people/a few others that are whats left of EC’s community or to reach out to new sources? Minecraft isn’t dead, but this servers community is almost completely nonexistant except for us on the forums nowadays.

#137373 Score: 0

AnderZENZ
    Participant
    19 pts

Basically… Rogue ruled with an iron fist a lot of the time (To be honest the server would have collapsed sooner otherwise) and he insisted on this small group of youtubers (random people showed up one day and got youtuber status…) getting their own world on the server, they had like 50k subs(?) and got us a bunch of people. But for the most part, we expanded, but didn’t try to bring back old people either.

#137375 Score: 0

Aidan Nye
    Participant
    12 pts

(FYI haven’t played on the new EC server/s these are just what i thought of for the old server)
    Its because the way the eco works is fundamentally broken i looked at ways of fixing this before the original reset but since i was only a expert mod (#expertmod5ever XD) and didn’t see eye to eye with ZeeKing on a lot of things to do with the reset nothing changed.

(Key issue is point 6)
    1.Have rates change depending on supply and demand
    -With some form of tax to make it more expensive to buy something than sell it at least 10%
    2.Allow more items and blocks to be sold even crafted items
    -Shouldn’t be based on farms but rather Minerals (info at the bottom quiet important)
    -Some blocks should only be sellable to keep numbers limited and of value, for certain blocks ‘Beacons’
    ‘God apples’
    ‘Diamonds?’ ect
    -food should not be buyable direct from the server making farms still important for the survival aspect but it would be silly to make a big red stone farm your not going to make money from
    3. Towny world and resource world should be separate
    -Towny world shouldn’t be greifable
    -Towny world should be set to revert to wild when i town falls (Towny admin hopefully know what im on about)
    -Town land cost should go up as more land is bought (Its a setting)
    -Town starting price should go up as more towns are created (also a setting)
    -Mobs shouldn’t spawn in the towny world at all (including spawners)
    -Min distance between towns when starting should be reasonably high
    -No PvP in towny world unless a town plot is set for it (Wild is safe)
    -Resource world shouldn’t have LWC
    -No fly in resource world not even for donors.
    -PvP is enabled in resource world
    4. It would be a good idea to have quester/jobs
    -Members should be able to set jobs for people to collect resources for them
    -Quests should be a way to earn money for tasks more like a bounty set by the mod team
    -Quests should change regularly
    5.Any corruption/abuse of perms should be dealt with harshly because they probably shouldn’t be a mod
    6.The problem with the old ec eco was that it was balanced towards of farming of crops a infinite resource, where as if it was it was balanced towards mining of minerals a finite resource there would be a more finite and controllable amount of money (Yes admins are communists they want to control your money XD).
    Mine vs Farm
    Now of course a world should be created just for mining and would need to get reset thus technically making it still infinite, it would remove the exponential amount of money made from farming.

I’m sure more points could be made but i think these are the key ones i do still have my server where i tested alot of configs and plugins to work with these points and solve other problems i personally had with the old EC and im more than happy to release my configs to be adapted.

~Gra

#137376 Score: 0

borncorp
    Keymaster
    23 pts

Hey gra, great ideas. Although I would disagree with you on setting an economy based on mining as I can see how this would encourage people to xray and then there the community would have suspicions of the richest players wereas with the farming economy it was all about the wits of the player. I think we can all agree that primus was the richest player for the longest time because he had the most efficient farm designs and he adapted his designs to match the server requirements, he was very smart and I want to reward players for using their brain. I think that’s awesome and that’s one of the things that made EC so engaging.

I agree that the farming economy makes the player exponentially rich and at some point the player would get bored, but I think it’s a sane stop point for the player to realize that he has beaten that game and that he could play in other areas of the server such as building or making and maintaining a town, or completing quests. At some point there would be no more things to do in the server and that’s OK. Every ggame has an ending. Some veteran players asked me to come up with new ways to keep them entertained, but most of them came at the cost of turning the server into something more complex. I think that the core of EC Towny was it’s simpicity and engaging environment.

Back to the economy, I think we could set a high limit so people don’t try to hoard massive amounts of money. Any other ideas?

#137377 Score: 0

Aidan Nye
    Participant
    12 pts

Hight limits wont work there just make farms wider, but maybe if flowers and trees were more heavily weighted in terms of return then there would at least be user input in destroying the trees or feeding a flower machine bonemeal. You could also focus on animal products like wool, beef, fish ect. But what ever the focus is i really think it should need user input not redstone farm hooked up to a daylight sensor or timer.

#137378 Score: 0

borncorp
    Keymaster
    23 pts

I am saying a wallet limit, so people can’t earn more than X amount of money.

#137379 Score: 0

Wither
    Participant
    14 pts

Enforcing farming and building laggy structures is bad.

Instead, give players money for being active. Give the X amount of money per X minutes. (a simple afk kicker can solve afkers if you don’t want those)

Vote daily for some money. Also, enable money for killing mobs.

This way, the economy isn’t rigged and you actually need to work for it. There can be spawner farms, but they cannot get out of control.

#137380 Score: 0

borncorp
    Keymaster
    23 pts

If we do mob economy then people will build mob farms, which generate far greater lag. Giving money for being active is boring and not very engaging, there’s no real challenge in that.

Farming is fun and challenging, ideally if we could modify minecraft so the block entities wouldn’t spawn then it would be the best. Any ideas for a farm that doesn’t generate fallen blocks?

#137381 Score: 0

Wither
    Participant
    14 pts

what is fallen blocks??

#137382 Score: 0

borncorp
    Keymaster
    23 pts

Dropped items

#137385 Score: 0

AnderZENZ
    Participant
    19 pts

I tried to set an eco limit on EC of 1mil for the forseeable future and Rogue’s all like “Why? No point”
    me: (not kidding) Well, what would Gra say…

And what do you suppose happened only a couple weeks later? We had multi-millionaires! Great system 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!