Thoughts on online communities

Home Forums Survival General discussion Thoughts on online communities

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chibichuba 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

borncorp
    Keymaster
    23 pts

Hey guys, after years of being focused on real life stuff I have been recently getting back in touch with online communities. I started watching some Twitch streams, joined a couple of Discord servers and I noticed something odd in all of them: They foster vapid hostile environments.

Experiencing this brought me back to the days before EC. How hostile were people in other MC servers were even some mods were pretty shitty towards people. When I started EC I built it with a basic foundation of respecting each other to foster a friendly community. I encouraged people to welcome others when they first joined the server, asking if others needed help with how the server works and I tried to promote people who wanted to be a moderator to help the community, not just for boosting their ego. I tried not to be excessively prohibiting by allowing people to curse in chat, but insulting others was off limits. I enjoyed joining and talking to the members and teleporting to them randomly just to say hi. I still have fond memories of joining and taking virtual selfies with everyone, handing out autographs was fun, even remembering when people sold them for profit brings a smile to my face. I remember working on the creative server and reading the most wholesome conversations there… just randomly happen right as I was doing some routine work, it was priceless.

All in all I guess I want to say how much I miss being in a friendly community and I feel that’s one of the reasons why people feel so lonely nowadays and miss EC so much, EC was able to fill that loneliness by being a place where you could have a real talk with a friend and expect a real response instead of just an edgy pepega/weirdchamp reply. I haven’t found a community like that and that makes me sad for the kids who need it.

Anyways, that’s just my thoughts on that. If you are even in a situation in which you can help build a community and you want it to last just keep in mind that you gotta foster a friendly environment, and if you are already in one of those communities and you feel the loneliness now you know why.

#141025 Score: 1

ZeBlitzKiller
    Participant
    13 pts

I played in many mc servers before and the results are always the same.. When you are the new kid on the server it is so hard to get attention because everybody focuses on the “Popular” group of people. EC always had a connection towards new people that made them want to play more on the server where other servers don’t. The new comers just get ignored and push aside when they are asking for help.

Our community had the best connection towards everyone. My first time in EC was a great experience and I’ll never forget. It is truly wonderful how everyone played their part in order to built the community we had

#141057 Score: 0

Zee_Tralala
    Participant

EC crossed my mind today. It’s nice to see the website is still up and we can all reach out somehow. Definitely miss being younger now :-) I am very glad to hear you’re doing well @Borncorp!

I absolutely agree that it is extremely hard to form bonds with people on most MC servers. Especially when you have something so great to compare it to, you really wish that you could have a home, a family to exist in and connect with others.

Thank you for the many wonderful years- I only think fondly of those memories. I hope we can take what we experienced at EC and apply it to our future to create a better place to be.

#141114 Score: 0

AnderZENZ
    Participant
    19 pts

I’ve essentially cut all ties with online communities at this point to be quite honest. I was never much of a gamer (Minecraft was the only game I spent significant time on aside from perhaps World of Warships or EU4), and the headaches that the toxic communities could sometimes cause were just not worth it. I think, at this point, I won’t ever really get back into any sort of online community, aside from making my bi-monthly appearance here of course. I had joined a super toxic server just before joining EC, where the “moderators” themselves were propagating the toxicity, so when I joined EC, it was a haven for me, especially considering my lack of many true real-life friends at the time. The last real online community I was part of was a clan in World of Warships, and aside from 2-3 toxic people (who eventually left or got kicked out anyhow), that was also a good community. Unfortunately it’s mostly dissolved at this point as well, most members have been absorbed by other clans, and the original clan has also been transferred to new leadership. I doubt I’d know more than one or two people in it now. But aside from that, the widespread online toxicity, which is due in large part to it being on a screen rather than face-to-face, just makes me steer clear of it most of the time. Even on social media, I tend to be more of a “browser” rather than a “poster” simply because I just don’t want any of the bullshit that is involved.

#141133 Score: 0

Chibichuba
    Participant

Glad to see familiar names still checking in occasionally – @Borncorp, @S_Killer99, @Zee_Tralala. I think about EternalCracked every once in a while, it definitely holds special memories along with everyone I met along the way. I think we feel this way about online communities since we have gotten at least 5-7 years older and probably have more pressing priorities to deal with, but let’s be glad we had a solid community even if it became toxic at times – we were all here to enjoy a great game with passionate people. It made me really happy today to see people still thinking back to the server like I am. I’ll hop onto the Discord here and there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!