[Prison] Moderator Application Tips

Home Forums Prison Mod Applications [Prison] Moderator Application Tips

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Artoriel 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Artoriel
    Participant
    2 pts

Hello fellow players,
    So.. These days, I have seen several mod apps that ended up being denied because they are not the ones we are looking for. Here, I will make it clear how Prison recruitment system works and what kind of applications we are looking for.

1. In-Game Activity.
    We want moderators that can dedicate enough time in the server to perform their duties. If you are inactive, it will be pointless to recruit you as you will be nothing to the team but problems. By being active in game, we can also determine how mature you are by seeing how you acts and communicate in game. Please refer to this topic to see our activity requirements.

2. Forum Activity
    We want to make sure that you are up to date with the server updates and informations. Without that knowledge, you will NOT be able to help the players well, when helping is one of Moderator’s main duty. By being active on the forum, we can also tell from your topics and posts what kind of person are you, are you suitable enough to be hired?

3. Detailed informations
    When writing a moderator application, We want you to put as much detail as possible where you can, especially when writing your moderating experiences and reasons of applying. Your detailed informations can help us determine the validity of your informations, and of course how much effort you put into your application. So.. If I see more short-ish mod applications, or a long one but without detailed informations, it will be instantly denied. One thing to remember, applying for staff is like applying for a job in real life, so put as much efforts as you can into it.

4. Punctuation, Grammar and Spelling
    Punctuation, Grammar and Spelling. Those things can help us determine how much effort you put into your application, and how mature you are. It will also show your professionality, and your capability to communicate with players in proper English. Lack of commas or dots will also decrease your chance to be accepted, same with incorrect caps. (Bad Example: i wants to be a mod), (Good Example: I want to be a moderator).

5. Ability to provide evidences.
    When muting/banning someone, a Moderator will have to submit an evidence. Because of that, ability to take screenshots is required, however ability to record is optional. You must submit a screenshot evidence if you are muting someone because of chat offenses. As for banning hackers/behavior offenders, video evidences are recommended, which is why ability to record will increase your chance to be accepted as a moderator. But if you are unable to record, prove to us that you are capable to fulfill the other requirements and you will still have a chance to be accepted. We can see your ability to submit evidences by looking at your reports when you are a member. Beside that, if you report hackers, it will show us your ability to spot hackers. So.. reporting rule breakers will definitely boost us on processing your application.

Note: We required our moderators to submit evidences for every bans and mutes, so that we will have something to show if someone writes a punishment appeal. We also want to know if our moderators (especially trials) did the right thing.

6. Punishment Records.
    This one will help us to determine whether we can trust you or not. It will also help us to see if you truly understand all the rules by the time you write your application.

7. Patience and Knowledge
    Once a player submitted an application, we will definitely check his/her background informations such as previous punishments, in game and forum activities, and how he/she acts and communicates in game / forum. If we found a problem during this step, then we will deny it instantly. Else, we will read the application and see if it is good enough. If it is not good enough, we will deny it. But if it is good enough, we will continue our observation towards that player. Please note that during this step we will also confirm the validity of the applicant’s informations. After that, we will see if he/she is able to stay calm and patient after submitting a moderator application. We will also see if they read the application rules/requirements and able to follow it, such as “do not advertise your application” or “do not ask any staff members how your application is going”. This step will usually takes a month or more, might be less if one of our recruiter knows him/her well. The last step will be a knowledge test. If the applicant passed the observation step, one of our recruiter will accept his/her moderator application and contact him/her in game / Skype to do the test. The test will include knowledge about the server rules, commands, punishments and “how to…”. We will also give him/her example cases or situations and see how he/she will handle them. If he/she can answer 75% of the questions correctly, then he/she will be hired, else he/she will be denied and he/she can retry in 3 months.

8. Helping (Addition by: @Dicedead)
    Applicants that help players while being a member will show us that they applied because they really are dedicated to help, not just for the perks and colored names. The problem is, a lot of high ranked Prison players think that helping a lot A rankers ranking up makes them automatically suitable for moderator position, or by giving away free worthy stuff, while in fact it only makes them look nicer towards other players (which is good!) but isn’t really considered helping in its demanded form. Prison is looking for people who help with commands and general advices firstly.

9. Ease of Talking with Strangers (Addition by: @Dicedead)
    It doesn’t mean talking like you were old friends meeting in a pub. Being polite and smiling is already a good part. Not to be too shy is part of that too.
    Actually, this problem is what holds EC back from adding an interview stage to the moderator recruiting process, which has been implemented by many other successful servers. Many people from the community are just too shy to speak with strangers. If we can somehow overcome this problem, I believe we can have such a solid and trustable staff team, without many unnecessary conflicts happening.

Most of you might wonder why you have to fulfill this much requirements just to become a moderator. My answer is simply because we want a professional, solid and trustable team, not just a bunch of immature, thirst of power kids that don’t really understand what responsibilities a moderator has. By being a moderator, it means the server reputation is being entrusted to you.

That’s all I think you should know before applying for staff in Prison. Good luck and have a nice day :)

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by  Artoriel.
    #129448 Score: 0

DragonEngineer
    Participant

Does this apply to other server branches?

#129449 Score: 0

Artoriel
    Participant
    2 pts

@DragonEngineer For now, this is only for Prison.

#129454 Score: 0

Dicedead
    Participant
    3 pts

@JiaZheng2707
    Actually all the points except 5 (necessity of taking screenshots/having a proof – still good to take and keep for a bit) apply to all the servers. Of course some details change from server to server: in Creative for example, good grammar is important but still secondary, however overall the moderator ( 😉 ) requirements are near identical. :)

Nicely written Clock! 😀 Can I suggest an addition to the list above? It’s missing a paragraph about helping. A lot of high ranked PR players think that helping a lot A rankers ranking up makes them automatically suitable for moderator position, or by giving away free worthy stuff, while in fact it only makes them look nicer towards other players (which is good!) but isn’t really considered helping in its demanded form. Prison is looking for people who help with commands and general advices firstly – correct me if I’m wrong, that’s what I’ve read on topics and in-game.
    Also, (only my opinion:) you should say that people who apply for mod should be truthful with themselves and with the others. Yeah, sorry for the little poetry here.. 😛 I mean, people should ask themselves: “Do I really want the rank to help or is it the perks and the feeling of extra power that I’m aiming for?” because after being promoted, the main judges of a mod are the players in the server. This is more of a theorical question, it helps while writing the moderator application though.
    Third suggestion (sorry, I wanted to write only one but I thought of some more): ease of talking with strangers. It doesn’t mean talking like you were old friends meeting in a pub, being polite and smiling is already a good part. Not to be too shy is part of that too.

Yes, I do know that in the third part I started talking directly to who is reading the topic, rather than to Clock. Note that even if I employed terms such as “you should, you were”, etc., this is only my advices and opinions, and I’m not even a PR mod. So for the official list of tips, stick with what Clock gave. :)
    Hope my suggestions helped tho. And thanks for reading. 😀

~Drumming Dice! {DD}

PS: Got the moderator joke? Nope? Read point 5. 😛

#129459 Score: 0

Artoriel
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks for the feedbacks and additions, Dice :)
    Added them to the topic.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!